Since this is the beginning of a new year, I’ve been thinking about some personal plans and changes I want to make in the way I approach things. All this thinking also inspired me to suggest the following 2011 Workplace Intentions (rather than resolutions – less onerous, so perhaps more doable) as goals for this great new year. I intend to use them for my business, and thought you might want to consider them too:
- Ensure that your focus is always on your mission.
- Post your values, and run things according to those values (check out www.emeraldheights.com for a great example of this).
- Honor your commitments to customers/clients and employees.
- Deal with employee issues fairly, promptly and effectively the first time they come up.
- Create a positive, creative and fun workplace. You’ll want to give more, and so will your employees.
- Promote trust with employees through openness, authenticity and fairness.
- Clearly state expectations and goals for employees, and follow up to ensure they’re being met.
- Admit mistakes. Apologize for harm done. Do better next time.
- Treat others as they wish to be treated – not as you wish to be treated. Follow the Platinum Rule, www.platinumrule.com .
- Before making a business decision, think how it would sound at the top of the news hour.
Look like a lot to take on? Concentrate on one intention each month: tell your employees that’s what you’re doing and make it a focus of your leadership for the month.
What are your 2011 Workplace Intentions? Share them with us, and have a great 2011! ~ Daphne Schneider